The Playstation Vita released in February this year is the next generation in Sony’s portable gaming experience. There have been two different versions released one of which has the inclusion of 3G, much like the Kindle on its release, giving hardcore gamers access anywhere whilst on the go. This is through the use of a pay as you go sim card from Vodaphone (the 3G model is additional costs to the stand alone Wi-Fi version).
To existing PSP owners the Vita should not fail to disappoint as the layout of the console is very similar to previous consoles, with the inclusion this time of an additional analogue controller, which should give that traditional Playstation controller feel. In Sony’s attempt to re-capture the handheld market they have also included a OLED touch screen boasting over 16 million colours, and backplate that is also a multi touch surface making almost the entire console interactive.
Although the Vita has both front and rear cameras, don’t expect to be ditching your camera with only VGA resolution (640 x 480 pixels), with video footage showing similar characteristics. However what Sony has got right is the graphics, with the introduction of a Quad core processor and increased RAM help the Vita create some of the best hand held graphics known to date. With the introduction of the new Vita card slot, don’t expect to be able to play your existing UMD games; however PSP games can be downloaded via the Playstation store and will be upscaled to give a smoother experience.
Overall the Vita looks to be a great improvement to Sony’s handheld collection, but will be tough on the wallet, with Wi-Fi models starting out at £230 without additional accessories and games at £39.99 it’s not that far off from purchasing a Playstation that doubles up as a Blu-Ray player.
Specifications for PlayStation®Vita
ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)
Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
Approx 279g (3G/Wi-Fi model)
Approx 260g (Wi-Fi model)
Front touchscreen: 5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, approx. 16 million colours, OLED multi touch screen, capacitive type.
Rear touch pad
Multi touch pad, capacitive type.
- Front camera.
- Rear camera.
- Frame rate: 120fps@320×240(QVGA), 60fps@640×480(VGA).
- Resolution: Up to 640×480(VGA).
- Built-in stereo speakers.
- Built-in microphone.
- Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer).
- Three-axis electronic compass.
- Built-in GPS (3G / Wi-Fi model only).
- Wi-Fi location service support.
Keys / Switches
- PS button.
- Power button.
- Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left).
- Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square).
- Shoulder buttons (Right/Left).
- Right stick, Left stick.
- START button, SELECT button, Volume buttons (+/-).
- Mobile network connectivity (3G / Wi-Fi model only).
- 3G modem (data communication): HSDPA/HSUPA, GSM/GPRS/EDGE.
- IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1×1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode).
- Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP).
Slots / Ports
- PlayStation Vita card slot.
- Memory card slot.
- SIM card slot (3G / Wi-Fi model only).
- Multi-use port (for USB data communication, DC IN, Audio [Stereo Out / Mono In].
- Headset jack (Stereo mini jack) (for Audio [Stereo Out / Mono In]).
- Accessory port.
- Built-in Lithium-ion Battery: DC3.7V 2210mAh
- AC adaptor: DC 5V
Operating Environment Temperature
5°C ˜ 35°C
Supported AV content
- MP3 MPEG – 1/2 Audio Layer 3, MP4 (MPEG-4 AAC), WAVE (Linear PCM).
- MPEG-4 Simple Profile (AAC). H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High/Main/Baseline Profile (AAC).
- JPEG (Exif 2.2.1), TIFF, BMP, GIF, PNG.